I will be a Father to you, and you will be sons and daughters to Me, says the Lord Almighty.
- 2 Corinthians 6:18

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Y'all... It's New Year's Eve..


  And to kickstart 2014, Compassion International has challenged their sponsors, bloggers, or anyone who wants to participate to choose just one word to embody the upcoming year. It's more than a New Year's resolution. It's a gift. Whatever word God lays on your heart will lift you and encourage you throughout the year. I learned about this practice through Compassion's blog several weeks ago, and have been praying and thinking about what my word for 2014 would be. And trust me, I tried choosing one word.. But that's just not possible. So, I have two words.

Anchor.
Anchor. Strength. Comfort. Support. Protection. Stability. Security.
      Looking back at this past year, I realize how desperately I need an anchor in my life. I realize that I've been tossed and uprooted in the storms beyond belief sometimes. Lost in the raging sea, I don't know where to turn, I'm unsure, afraid. And then, in the middle of my mess, an anchor is dropped down, steadying me, assuring me that even in the midst of the storm, I don't have to battle it alone. I can breathe, I can rest, because something stronger than myself is there. An anchor would not be needed if the waters did not churn. I will be tossed in the waves. I will be pulled out to sea. I need stability, something I can lean on, even in the storms. So I want my Lord to be my constant Anchor. I want to be anchored in Him. He alone can provide that pillar of stability in my crazy life. This year, I'm excited to hold onto that promise and see where God leads me in 2014.

     We have this hope as an anchor for our lives, both safe and secure. - Hebrews 6:19, HCSB


Redeemed.
     You know... I was so sure I had found "my word" until this little eight-letter word kept popping up in the weirdest places. I felt it being pressed upon my heart but I ignored it, certain that "anchor" was mine. Until, finally, I caved. I had a little "Okay God, I get it. I'll pick this one, for You" moment. But since then I realized, I didn't pick it just because I felt a tug to do so. God placed it in my hands, for me to treasure. He picked it for me. And ya know what's funny? He picked me, too. Redeemed, boiled down, simply means bought back, repurchased. God Himself has redeemed me. We all belonged to Him in the beginning, but our sin has separated us from Him. So the Holy One, the Creator of the universe came down, and paid the price to draw me back to Him. The truth of that is so liberating. I am set free, but not only set free. I was bought with a price. God sent His son to die a painful death He did nothing to deserve, just so we could be with Him once more. That statement keeps me going. I was redeemed by my Creator, bought back to be with Him. He took a great move to bring me back, so the least I can do is live for Him, set free by the blood that flowed down Calvary's hill, redeeming His people. I want to live in the freedom of this truth this year. I am redeemed from my sin, redeemed from my pain and regret, and set free by the blood of my King. I am redeemed.

The Holy One of Israel is our Redeemer; Yahweh of Hosts is His name. - Isaiah 47:4, HCSB

You will lead the people You have redeemed with Your faithful love; You will guide them to Your holy dwelling with Your strength. - Exodus 15:13, HCSB



   If you want to join me in picking a word (or two!) for 2014, do it! I'm already so excited to see where this will go. I pray for all of you reading this blog, and I pray that 2014 will bring each of you closer to Christ. Happy New Year everyone.


No comments:

Post a Comment