I will be a Father to you, and you will be sons and daughters to Me, says the Lord Almighty.
- 2 Corinthians 6:18

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

When My Comfort Zone Became the Third World

 Dear October + nearly half of November, where did you go? Really. I feel like I blinked and it just flew right past me. Once upon a time I thought I could blog on a single topic for 31 days straight with no planning whatsoever. We all know how well that worked out. But although I only wrote 11 days out of 31, change happened. This heart of mine was opened and broken. It was brought to a deeper understanding and awareness of God's great love. And in this awareness of Him, He placed this little question in my heart.

 What if I asked you to stay?

 As in stay here. In Georgia. As in no mission trip next summer. The question literally stopped me in my tracks while I was fixing lunch a couple weeks ago. I mean seriously. Come on, God. You're the one who placed this passion for the world in my heart. And now You're asking if I would stay?!

 I've just been so positive I'd be going somewhere. Whether it be Ethiopia or the Dominican Republic or somewhere else. So here I am shaking my head at God because how could I not go?

 A sweet friend of mine kinda brought this revelation to a whole new level when she told me, "When we talk about stepping out of our comfort zones and doing the hard thing, our comfort zones have become the third world. The foreign country. And sometimes the hardest thing and the place we'll end up being stretched the most is here."

 At home.

 I'm all about stepping out in faith and going outside my comfort zone. But what happens when the foreign country becomes my comfort zone? Because no matter how heartbreaking and challenging it is, it's where I want to be.

 I've said it before, following Christ is radical. It calls us to radical faith.

 And that radical faith needs to be put into practice right here. Right now. Outside my comfort zone.

 It can be put into practice by dealing with heart-issues like fear, apathy, and complacency. By learning to speak out against injustice. By not being quiet about how God is moving.
  
 I'm going to start living outside my comfort zone every day. I'm going to start living this radical lifestyle in the right now.


 You can do it, too. Not everyone is going to spend a week, much less a lifetime, in a foreign country. The limits of your comfort zone could be right outside your own door. So would you please join me on this radical journey? Join me in praying, seeking for, and finding ways that Christ is calling us to live radically right where we are.

 Father, we are open to You. We are saying 'yes' to whatever You call us to do. Reveal to us where we can step out boldly in faith. I want to live radical, Lord. I want to go outside my comfort zone and do the hard things in Your name. So if you're asking me to stay, my answer is yes. I will stay. Because Your great love crosses borders but it also meets us right at our border. Meet at my border, but don't leave me there. Lead us beyond our comfort zones and into Your sovereign plan. 

6 comments:

  1. Abigail! This so touched my heart. I agree, sometimes home becomes the most out of our comfort zone. I will pray for you! God is going to use you for great things, whether you stay in Georgia or go elsewhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so so much for your sweet comment, Lizzie! Praying for you as well.

      Delete
  2. Hi, Abigail!

    So I am CRAZY slow in getting to your blog, but I just had to come by. Your comment at my blog almost a MONTH ago so blessed me. I am so excited for you - that you are living for Him with such passion at your age? I definitely was not when I was in high school. So I my heart is so filled with JOY when I see young women passionately pursuing Him!

    And I do so understand what you are talking about here. When doing the brave thing is actually sometimes just being still. Staying where you are. And it seems crazy confusing at first, because you want to do brave, bold things for Him. But His ways really aren't our ways. And we can trust Him, no matter what He calls us to do - go or even stay. Praying for you as you trust Him fully with your heart and your life.

    Have you read Anything by Jennie Allen? Excellent book - and it addresses some of these very things.

    Thanks, again, for coming by my blog and leaving me a note. :) Blessings,
    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by, Kimberly! Your words are such an encouragement. I'll have to look into that book- I'm always looking for good reads. :)

      Prayers to you!

      Delete
  3. "Join me in praying, seeking for, and finding ways that Christ is calling us to live radically right where we are."

    I'm in. :)

    I love this, girl. Absolutely love it. And you! Praying for you, sweet sister!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU, sister, for being an inspiration and encouragement. I think it goes without saying that I love your words, your blog, and you. :)

      Just read your most recent post-- "There is hope that can found in the shambles. And that is a beautiful thing." Wow. So, so profound. I think that quite possibly may become my life motto. ;)

      Prayers are going right back your way, girl!

      Delete